Checklist for bicycle-friendly cities
from "Cycling in Cities" by the European Federation for
Transport and Environment
- The design of Bicycle facilities follows the rules and principles of
vehicle traffic (direct left turns, no two-way Bicycle traffic on one side of the road).
- If space is reserved for cyclists it is taken from the roadway.
- The whole network of streets is kept open and usable for cyclists.
- As a general rule, cyclists are exempt from hindrances and
restrictions specially meant far motorised traffic (no entry, no right or left turn,
- Bridges and underpasses which are not intended for motorised traffic
are designed for safe and comfortable use By both pedestrians and cyclists.
- The design of speed humps provides comfortable passage for cyclists.
- The ways of cyclists are kept clean and well maintained especially in
- Bicycle stands in front of shops and public Buildings show cyclists
that they are welcome as customers. Railway stations are equipped with covered bicycle
- The image of cycling is improved through public relations campaigns
and people are encouraged to use the Bicycle as a means of transport.